Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Every $10 we earn, we’ll donate a dollar to animal shelters in need.
Are you aware that the best wet dog foods are composed of around 70% to 80 % moisture and have a small proportion of soft kibble in it? Those with high moisture content have lower carbohydrates and more quality protein. If you are looking for the best wet dog food which will make your pet love you even more, keep on reading. The Furry Companion will present you with the best ones and the information you need to know.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Wet Dog Food
Rachael Ray’s Nutrish dog food is probably the best wet dog food out there due to its top-of-the-line quality and ingredients. It is prepared without soy, wheat, and corn, thus helping reduce the chances of your dog getting an upset stomach. According to studies, dogs can develop intolerances if their meals contain these three ingredients. Therefore, the food you choose mustn’t have these.
Another good thing about Nutrish is the presence of brown rice in the recipe. This is perfect for puppies who require high fiber for better excretion process and metabolism. It also contributes to more effective digestion.
- There is a low amount of fat
- They extract their raw materials from local sellers as a way to help natives.
- It has a high value for money since its quality exceeds the price.
Cesar Classics Adult Wet Dog Food Trays
If you are looking for the best wet dog food to mix with dry kibbles, you should try Cesar Classics Adult Wet Dog Food Trays. With 82% moisture, it is probably one of the moistest dog food formulas available. The only downside to this is because it has a massive amount of moisture, only 18% is left for its nutritional value. Renee M. Streeter, DVM, DACVN explains that “Wet food is not necessarily better, but it’s typically more palatable and the excess water it provides may help keep dogs hydrated,”
The Cesar Classic Premium pack contains six trays of each of the flavors: grilled chicken, oven-roasted chicken, turkey, and duck. Rest assured that each formulation is composed of the best natural ingredients which will enhance the health of your dog. Cesar also has an extensive wet dog food product line.
- Guaranteed composition of 3.5% fat, 1% fiber, minimum of 8% protein, and a maximum of 82% moisture.
- Contains Vitamins D3, B1, A, and E.
- The primary ingredients include chicken by-products, beef by-products, animal liver, and chicken.
- It is enriched with copper, zinc, and calcium.
Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
What sets the Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Canned Dog Food apart from other brands is its inclusion of essential oils to the food composition. The reason for incorporating these essential oils is to provide more amount of healthy fats at a minimum of 6.5% in value. This feature also makes it one of the best wet dog food in terms of a healthier profile.
Also, its main ingredients mainly come from real meat, which results in higher-quality animal protein.
- 4 out of 5 first ingredients are real meat proteins.
- The mentioned principal proteins are namely chicken liver, chicken, and turkey.
- It is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Guaranteed composition of 6.5% fat, 1.4% fiber, minimum of 10% protein, and a maximum of 78% moisture.
- It is anchored with essential oils, choline, and biotin.
TOTW Southwest Canyon Canine Formula with Beef in Gravy
The company Taste of the Wild (TOTW) is known for delivering the most healthy and savory best wet dog food product. They are a believer that canines should consume meat in its raw taste. Because of this mindset, they decided to innovate and produce a recipe which will only revolve around raw food. They also claim that their products are free from artificial additives and grains.
The top ingredients in their offering include beef, wild boar, lamb, and beef liver. From here, you can definitely see how much they value the massive presence of meat protein. “Dogs need meat! Dogs thrive on meat-based diets, ” T. J. Dunn, Jr., DVM adds. Aside from this, there is also a small inclusion of both vegetables and fruits to help maintain the youthful coat and nourishment of the body of your dog.
Take note that the taste of the Southwest Canyon is above average compared to its competitors. It also has one of the largest loyal customer bases, since they believe that this product is the best wet dog food in terms of ingredients and quality.
However, be wary when letting your pet consume this. Do not let them eat it if they are experiencing any ailments or have recently recovered from a disease. Feed them this product only if they are in their healthiest state.
- The makers never recalled this line.
- The average calorie content of TOTW suits dogs of all ages.
- The various meats contribute to its road of making the rounds for being the best wet dog food since they make its taste likable to the dogs.
Moist & Meaty Burger with Cheddar Cheese Wet Dog Food by Purina
If you want your dog to have the best cheeseburger deluxe experience, then Purina’s Moist & Meaty Burger with Cheddar Cheese is the best offering for you! This formulation is something tailored to the taste buds of dogs, especially those pooches, with its rich beefy, and cheesy taste.
Each 6-ounce pouch has the least amount of moisture in this best wet dog food list, but still contains the highest amount of protein. Tests have proven that its moisture content and protein are valued at 33% and 18%, respectively.
Because of its relatively low levels of moisture, this product is a hybrid of dry kibble and moist dog food. Its moisture content is measured at less than 50 percent of what other soft dog foods have, yet its protein levels almost reach the standard of dry kibbles. This combination indeed makes for a well-balanced and highly nutritious diet for your pet.
- It contains 470 kcal per pouch.
- Its main ingredient is a beef by-product.
- It is fortified with both vitamin K and biotin.
- It has a guaranteed analysis of 3% fiber, 7% fat, a minimum of 18% protein, and a maximum of 33% moisture.
- The product is filled with vitamins and minerals.
Weruva Classic Dog
Once pet owners hear the brand Weruva, they most likely associate it with one of the best wet dog food in the market. It is a renowned company whose claim revolves around preparing a formula that adds human-grade ingredients. That is not absurd at all. Believe it or not, they have passed through strict regulation checks to assure that what they are saying is factual and accurate.
Their recipes boast quality meat protein ingredient, namely salmon and chicken. Most owners prefer this combination since they offer lean protein for your dogs. In fact, only a handful of competitors can deliver the nutrient level the Weruva Jammin’ Salmon can provide.
The only problem that consumers complain about is the sharp smell. Most new dog owners avoid this since they do not like its smell.
- This is a dog food that caters to all types and life stages of dogs.
- The unique salmon recipe included in this meal delivers the perfect amount of lean protein which fits every Fido.
- It also contains pumpkin which helps in the digestion and cardiovascular functions of your pet.
ALPO Chop House Wet Dog Food by Purina
The ALPO Chop House Wet Dog Food is one of the best wet dog food in the product line of Purina. You can buy a set containing 12 of 13.2-ounce cans which can last for weeks.
What’s unique about this nutritious and delicious meal is the savory juices that are part of the recipe. This is perfect for sick dogs who have altered taste buds due to their medication. Lastly, each concoction is composed of real meat, which only came from natural ingredients. Purina uses its advanced technology to process these raw materials so they can retain their nutrients.
- 4 out of the 5 primary ingredients are meat-based proteins, namely liver, beef, chicken, and meat by-products.
- They have a guaranteed analysis of 5% fat, 1.5% fiber, minimum 9% protein, and a maximum 78% moisture.
- It only contains 411 kcal per 13.2-ounce can.
The Pet Owners’ Guide to Buying the Best Wet Dog Food
It might be a little overwhelming for you to decide what kind or brand of dog food to purchase once you are in the aisle. Therefore, here are some qualities you should look for when choosing the best wet dog food for your furry friend.
- Nutritional Value. Protein, healthy fats, carbohydrates, and fatty acids are critical to your dog’s diet.
- Calorie Content. The higher the calorie content, the higher the energy amount released after metabolism.
- Size of the Pack. The best wet dog food only retains its quality within two to three days upon opening the can. So, make sure that the servings are enough for consumption in this time range.
- Organic. Ensure that the ingredients are extracted from natural sources through the proper conventional, biological, and mechanical farming.
- Manufacturing Date. Choose the latest manufacturing date possible to avoid contamination and oxidation of food.
According to experts, the best wet dog foods are those with exceptional amounts of moisture, which makes the diet resemble the consistency and taste of human food. Krista Williams, BSc, DVM and collaborator say, “It is a myth that dogs need a variety in their food choices. Consistency is generally best. Once you find a nutrient profile that agrees with your dog or one that has been prescribed by your veterinarian, stick with it.” Make sure to follow this guide so you can choose and purchase the most suitable ones for your dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is wet dog food good for dogs?
Wet dog food is good for dogs with urinary tract conditions because it contains moisture. Wet food has more protein content compared to dry food.
What is the best canned dog food for small breeds?
The Merrick Lil’ Plates Small Breed Canned Diet is the best choice. There are different flavors to choose from and it is made specifically for small breed.
What is the best wet dog food for puppies?
Puppies can be quite picky and may prefer wet dog food. The best wet dog food choices for puppies are Purina Pro Plan — Focus Puppy Classic Chicken & Rice, Royal Canin — Puppy Canned Dog Food, Hill’s Science Diet — Puppy Chicken & Barley Entree, Blue Buffalo — Homestyle Recipe Puppy Chicken Dinner, and Wellness — Complete Health Just for Puppy.
Should you mix wet and dry dog food?
There is no problem if you prefer to mix wet and dry dog food. It is important to take note that both foods should are in line with the health need of your dog.
Can dogs eat canned tuna?
Yes, dogs can eat tuna. It serves as protein-source for dogs and it is suggested to get one that is in water than that of in oil.
What wet dog food do vets recommend?
It is important to consider the vet’s recommendation when choosing a wet dog food. Recommended wet dog food by vets are Hill’s Science Diet, Royal Canin, Orijen, Purina Pro, and Wellness CORE.
What is the healthiest wet dog food brand?
The healthiest dog foods are those that contain enough protein, less carbohydrates, and preservatives. The healthiest dog foods are Merrick Classic Canned Dog Food, Taste of the Wild Wet Dog Food, Weruva Wet Dog Food, Halo Wet Dog Food, and Wellness Stews Canned Dog Food.
Who makes the best canned dog food?
The best canned dog foods is that provide the right nutrition for dogs while using excellent ingredients. These manufacturers are Hill’s Science, Purina, and Merrick.
Nicole is an avid sports fan and an excellent multi-tasker. Aside from her full-time work as a Commercial Management Trainee in a food and beverage FMCG company, she also entered two fulfilling part-time jobs: one as a researcher in a business news channel and another as a freelance writer of various companies. Nothing can beat the adrenaline she feels from all of these amazing side hustles!